Martin Brothers – 1900
This distinctive bird head pottery from the Martin Brothers is a magnificent find, located on the 2nd floor of the People’s Store.
The Martin Brothers were pottery manufacturers in London who are considered to represent the transition from decorative Victorian ceramics to twentieth century studio pottery in England.
The four Martin brothers (Wallace, Walter, Charles and Edwin) produced a distinctive type of stoneware pottery from the 1870s through to the First World War, and only a little work produced through to 1923, when their pottery closed. The Martinware Pottery (1873-1923) is a good example of a Victorian art pottery. They were best known for their bird sculptures and bowls, vessels decorated with sea creatures, and tiles, fashioned in a whimsical but highly skillful style.